The first words of St John’s Bible start with:
“In the beginning was the Word […]” (John 1:1).
Words have tremendous power on our lives. They actually create our reality!
Words thus language are an important force for positive change. And this doesn’t only apply on how we communicate with others; actually, it starts with how we communicate with ourselves. The way it affects our body and mind has been the subject of research for many decades. Neuro-Linguistic Programming and Kinesiology have created methods for transforming our internal and external thoughts and behavior for a better happier life.
Unfortunately, through time, we were programmed to talk with authority, judgment and bullying. We actually attack ourselves with our negative thinking. The idea here is to change the actual cycles of violence of authority based on fear, guilt, ego and competition into social unity with positive authority that is based on self-respect and nurtures a sense of self-worth.
Many teachers have spoken about the power of the mind and how to train it to give us more positive outcome. Mahatma Gandhi said: “Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive, because your words become your behaviors. Keep your behavior positive, because your behaviors become your habits. Keep your habits positive, because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny”.
The question here is how can we keep our thoughts positive? My advice is to have a small notebook in our pocket and watch our thoughts on a daily basis. The moment we are aware of a negative thought, write it down and turn the thought into a positive one. For example: “Today I am tired”; tired is a negative word. If we keep on saying “I am tired” we are giving out to the world this energy. Instead of that thought write down and say: “Today my body is asking for attention and it wants to rest!” By keeping our thoughts positive, our words are going to slowly, day after day, change positively and instead of having a destructive communication, we will start to have a constructive communication with ourselves and with everyone around us.
There are though few words when changed, will make all the difference in our communication:
· Never use the word “Try”. Actually, the mind doesn’t read or understand this word. Can you recall a friend telling you that they will “try to pass by” and they never do! Did any of your parents ask you to “try to have better grades?”. If they did, your mind read it that you are a lazy, mediocre student! Instead of “Try” use “Do my Best”!
· Do your best not to use the word “But” in your sentence. When used, it denies everything you said before it. Let’s say you are giving a compliment to yourself in the mirror: “Oh, you look so beautiful today. But don’t you think your hair is a bit messy?”. Put in this sentence, the compliment has been turned into criticism. Instead of “But” use “And”.
· Do not use the words “Can’t” and “Won’t”; they will literally stop and block your growth. Instead use the word “I can”, “I will do my best”, “I am”: those words promote growth.
· Using the words “Want” and “Need” induces the idea of scarcity. Everything is available to us in this world. Everything we would like to have is already at our disposal. The only thing to do is to “Choose” from the millions of resources that are there for us. Change the word “Want” and “Need” to “Choose” and feel the power of choice that you have.
· Never use the words “Should”, “Must” or “Got to”. Those words vibrate on guilt, humiliation, stress and pressure. For example: “I should start working out!”. We are here putting ourselves in so much pressure that most probably, we won’t do it! Instead of “Should”, “Must” or “Got to” use the word “Like” or “Able”. So instead of feeling guilty, you will be encouraging yourself: “I like to start working out this week!”. It is lighter don’t you think?
When we change the way we communicate with ourselves, things around us will start positively change. People around us will also change. Our whole world, creation and manifestation will improve and we start to feel more at ease, more joyful and creative. We also feel that we are the masters of our lives and that life is not happening for us, we are creating it as we choose it to be!
With truth, simplicity, love & service!
In light, always!
Follow Joumana on Instagram
Follow Joumana on facebook